Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Thought on Thursday: How'd it Go? and Lessons Learned

How did your week go? Were you able to take on last weeks challenge and express more gratitude? I was able to in some ways. I also learned a valuable lesson. Let me share it with you. The last little while has been a little rough for me with the stresses of life, the anniversary of my daughters passing, and other personal things going on. I've tried to be optimistic, deliberate, and even cheerful, but have fallen short here and there--and well, we'll leave it at that. :)

Actually, part of the reason I gave last weeks challenge, was that I was feeling the need to reach outside of myself, to look outside what was happening immediately around me, and seek to serve others. It felt great to do this, but there were times when I was slow to express my gratitude and this is where I learned a valuable lesson.

A friend of mine learned about the anniversary of my daughters passing. She did not know her, but she is very aware of many of the struggles (and joys) that I have with my son, who has the same terminal disorder as his sister. She spent the day writing me a beautiful poem about motherhood, life, my kids, friendship.....and brought this, along with some delicious banana bread that night.

It truly did mean a lot to me. I was grateful. I believe that I said thank you when she came, but also planned to bring her plate back with a note expressing how truly grateful I was. You know, do a little something extra? Then a day passed. I saw the plate as I cleaned up the kitchen numerous times throughout the day, and each time said, I really need to write that note; what she did meant a lot. I saw the plate again, cleaning up one last time before bed, but feeling drained, I went to bed, thinking tomorrow I will write. Well, I didn't. I meant to, but didn't.

A couple days passed and I got a text message from my friend worried that she had offended me or overstepped in some way, expressing the desire to work past it if she had. I quickly responded, No! What she had done for me meant a lot, and that it was me who was slow in expressing my gratitude, and if anyone, it should be me asking for forgiveness.

Lesson learned. I love to make homemade cards and wanted to do this for her, and perhaps fill her plate back up with a delicious treat, but in this case I should have just walked the plate back and once again expressed how much it really meant. Instead I left her wondering. Do you ever do this, want to do something extra special, but are slow in acting? Like I said last week, "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." (William Arthur Ward)......and I was guilty once again.

I also learned an even greater lesson from my friend. She had very obviously spent a lot of meaningful time in her gift. She could have decided to be upset with me, angry, perhaps bitter. However, this is not her, and instead, she reached out to me once again in compassion and seeking clarification and renewal of our friendship if needed. A true friend.

So I take from this week many lessons learned, added to gratitude for friendship, and the chance to continue to better learn to express my gratitude to others.

Thanks for reading, and best wishes for a wonderful week ahead!
~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment