Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Thought on Thursday: Have a Plan

More and more I find Benjamin Franklin's words, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail,” to be so very true. I can recognize times in my life when I have spent adequate time planning and times when I have failed to plan at all. My overall pleasure with life is much higher when I have a plan. 

What are we planning? Well, it comes down to what is important to you. A good place to start may be looking back at your mission statement and identifying what has the most value to you. If it has value to you, then plan to make that a priority in your life. For example, I have young children that I want to spend specific individual time with each day. Now, I can just say that I'll fit it in somewhere in my day, but I know from experience that other tasks will inevitably arise, and I will find myself lying down at night (full of guilt) not having spent the individual time with them. Can you relate in some way? 

Another big one for me is meal planning. Now, I don't mind cooking, so long as I know what I'm making. Therefore, I try to have a menu written out. This allows for less confusion when meal times roll around, and also allows me to be sure that I have all the ingredients I'm going to need when it comes time to shop for groceries. A little planning in this way saves both time and money on trips made for an ingredient here and an ingredient there. 

Am I a perfect planner, well no, but I'm working at it every day, and I think that's one big key to a happier and more fulfilled life. The boat gets rocked a little as our family grows, as life brings change, as my goals and priorities evolve. It's simply because change requires, even demands, a re-evaluation of plans. During these times things will likely feel more chaotic than planned at times (ok, maybe even most of the time) trying to fit in new priorities, but systematically it will work out if you keep at it.

And, while I know that life never goes completely as planned, I also know that there are many more opportunities that can be seized when we know what our priorities are, and are at least trying to plan accordingly.

Best Wishes!
~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment