Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Thought on Thursday: Write it Down!

There is a lot that goes on in our lives that is worth remembering. A lot that is worth going back to. A lot that if others could know, would likely help them out. Today my thoughts are on writing in a journal. I've kept a journal since I was about eight years old, when I took over the journal that my mom had been writing about me/for me since before I was born (bless her heart). I now have volumes of journals, and I too, try to keep journals for my children, full of memorable moments and special messages I want them to know and to remember.

Now, there have been times in my life when I've written daily, and times when I've written far less than that. Either way, there is just something about living life and recording it. Recording both the good times and the hard times. Writing, for me, is also very therapeutic. I do well to write out how I'm feeling, to honestly reflect upon what is happening and actively make choices about how to proceed in life. Writing during happy times gives me time to pause, record, and reflect on my many blessings. I do have many!

There are so many ways to journal! (Google it if you need more inspiration!) I've utilized your typical hardbound 8 1/2x11ish, lined journal for years because that is what I was once given as a gift. The journal I took over from my mom was a spiral notebook of sorts. I've done some art journaling and enjoy the process of this. When I was younger, I wrote as if I were talking to someone in a letter. These days I enjoy a combination of scrapbooking ( Project Life Style) and writing in a hardback art sketch book with no lines. No lines I find is so much better for me.

Don't know what to write? Google journaling prompts and you'll never run out of ideas! It really doesn't need to be a long, drawn out process either. It's your journal, you can include (or not include) whatever you choose. Write in whatever style you want, draw pictures, brainstorm, make lists, etc. The most important thing is that you are recording a piece of yourself and enjoying the process.

Appreciate Life and Write it Down!
~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment